The Mustang Need-Based Scholarship Program
Thanks to the generosity of ASIJ donors, our school is pleased to be able to offer a small number of need-based scholarships each year. We seek candidates who will be active, engaged members of our school community, and who can thrive in a highly academic, rigorous program.
Before proceeding, please note the following important points:
- In order to qualify, the annual household income of the applicant must be no more than ¥6.2 million (regardless of number of earners and regardless of number of people in the household). Government subsidies should not be included in this number;
- Scholarships are only available between Grades 8 and 11 inclusive;
- The applicant must have the legal right to reside in Japan.
Applicants who meet the above criteria should read the following information, and then complete the inquiry form that you will find below.
READ THIS IMPORTANT NOTICE: If you are applying for a need-based scholarship, please do not attempt to begin the application process without first receiving confirmation from us that we have received your completed inquiry form, and that you have been approved to apply. Scholarship applicants who attempt to complete the regular application process without first receiving approval will not receive a response.
About need-based scholarships
- Are available to students entering ASIJ between Grades 8 and 11 inclusive;
- Include fees such as tuition, bussing, a laptop, and school trips related to the curriculum (a participation fee may be required from the parents to cover a portion of the school fees);
- Are provided for up to five years, dependent on the recipient maintaining the appropriate academic level and abiding by the school rules.
In order to be able to proceed with the application process, parent(s)/guardian(s) must be able to provide:
- Evidence that the student applicant lives with the parent(s)/guardians(s);
- Evidence that the student applicant has the legal right to reside in Japan;
- Evidence of an annual household income of no more than ¥6.2 million (regardless of number of earners and regardless of number of people in the household). Government subsidies should not be included in this number.
Can applicants visit the school?
We welcome and encourage campus visits. We hold a number of open houses throughout the year, but you can call and make an appointment for a campus visit and tour at any time, including summers.
Please note that the applicant must...
- be at least 13 years of age on or before September 1st of the school year for which they are applying and have completed Grade 7 (so, if you are applying to start Grade 8 in August of 2023, you must have completed Grade 7 and you must turn 13 years old before September 1, 2023);
- have excellent command of oral and written English.
What to expect if you are invited to apply
- You will need to complete the application by midnight on January 31st (there is no fee to apply); the application requires you to write an essay, and to submit references & academic records;
- Candidates who are selected to continue in the process will be invited to visit campus for an interview and assessments in math and English;
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) of finalists may be asked to submit more detailed financial information, and to provide updated information each year to ensure that the family remains qualified to receive the scholarship;
- ASIJ will notify you of its final decision by April 1, at which point you will have one week to accept or decline the offer.
- The ASIJ school year begins in August.
In order to begin the application process…
Before you apply, we must verify that you meet the qualifications for the scholarship. Please complete this inquiry form (which will ask you to submit a couple of documents that verify your residency status and household income). We will review your information as quickly as possible; if we are able to verify your qualifications, we will invite you (by email) to proceed with the full application.
If you have any questions at any time, please contact us (in English) at firstname.lastname@example.org.